Thursday, January 10, 2008

They Have Mountain Dew in Peru!


"Hey Everyone,

Ok so alot has happened in the last week so I will try to get in all in. Last Saturday we went out and had our first experience with real door to door missionary work. We left early in the morning and went to a small town ( about 500,000 people) called Ventanilla and its actually in the North mission. We went to the stake center and got paired up with a member and went to work. We contacted several less actives and did alot of street contacts. My companion was Elder Mollo and the two of us worked really well together. Pretty much throughout the entire day I had a hard time understanding what people were saying to me but overall i could gather the jist of what was going on, until our very last contact. She was a less active and we thought she was the only one home but her mother was there with her. Her mother was a really hard core catholic and hated her daughter being a member and just couldn't believe the Book of Mormon. She started out listening to elder Mollo and I but then she started yelling at us. I was seriously freakin out. She kept yelling and i looked at elder Mollo and he didn't know what to do either, but then I knew we had to calm her down so I interrupted her and looked her right in the eyes and bore my testimony to here. after I finished she sat back and seemed to be open to our teachings, we taught about the Restoration and how the book of Mormon and the bible work together. I don't know what will happen with her but i was just really excited i actually knew what was going on and I felt like I taught her. Even though she agree 100 percent with what we were teaching i know that she felt the spirit. But by the end of the day I was so worn out. The town on Ventanilla is a slightly impoverish city but the people there are so willing to let you in and teach. It truly is amazing. It was most definitely the hardest thing i have ever done but it was a great time.

Yesterday several of us had to go to interpol to become legal Peruvian citizens. It was quite uneventful until the drive back to the CCM. Our driver stopped at a gas station and let us get some goodies. I walked in and there it was. An ice-cold can of MOUNTAIN DEW. It was totally unexpected. The only problem was that it cost about five soles, so me and Elder McGavin were going to go halvesies on it.

Yesterday was also our big day of fun. For lunch we had pizza hut and all afternoon we spent exploring Lima and taking in the culture. We could wear our normal clothes with our name tags and basically be tourists for a day. We got to see the Peruvian white house and all of the big tourist attractions. For an entire hour we were turned lose to go and do whatever so here Elder Cooke, Evans, and I are all alone in Lima Peru and we basically stuck out like a sore thumb. We went to the soccer stadium and bought soccer jerseys. That night we had a steak dinner and were able to play football and soccer all night under the lights. It was a blast.


We got a new shipment of Elders today. So now there is about 120 missionaries here. It was sad to see Elder Mollo and Elder Oreallana head out but they will be great.

I appreciate all of your emails and letters, they lift me up so much. Thanks!!"

No comments: